Salads have been a true companion for any meal, may it be India or any part of the world. However, salads had been mistaken to serve only as a side dish, while it can be consumed as a whole meal as well.
I believe salads can be served as a great meal when it comes to especially lunch or dinner. It keeps your tummy light as well as fulfilled. It has been an old concept that salads on their own don’t have any special nutritional requirements, as earlier salads served the only purpose of enhancing the taste of the complimentary dish.
In recent times, a lot of studies have shown that food scientists have been experimenting with various food items and have been incorporating them into our old salads to give them a tastier and healthier twist.
The three different salad recipes that I am going to share is a complete meal in itself, it can be eaten either in lunch or dinner. it has protein, carbohydrate, fiber etc in a balanced amount.
Salad 1: Mixed Vegetable salad with beetroot soup, boiled eggs, and strawberry.
Ingredients: (2 Servings)
- Hard Boiled Eggs- 2
- Lettuce- 5-7 leaves- coarsely chopped
- Onion- thinly sliced
- Red bell peppers- coarsely chopped
- Yellow bell peppers- coarsely chopped
- Olives- 2- 3 tbsp
- Carrots- 2 (peeled and cut into small pieces)
- Beetroot Juice – wash, peel and cut pieces of beetroot, put it into the cooker with about 3 glasses of water, salt and ground pepper, cook it for about 3-4 whistles, strain the soup and have it lukewarm. (This soup is full of micronutrients, also helps in increasing the hemoglobin level )
- Caesar salad dressing, mustard sauce, mayonnaise (1 tbsp of each)
- Lemon juice- 1 Tsp
- Salt, Pepper (as per taste)
Recipe:- First of all, in a bowl mix the 3 dressings as per the measurement, also add lemon juice, salt, and pepper, mix well and keep aside. Now Wash and Dry all the vegetables. Chop the vegetables as desired. Mix all the chopped vegetables in a large bowl. Cut the hard-boiled eggs into 4 pieces, sprinkle with salt and pepper and keep it in a plate. In another plate, add the chopped vegetables and pour the dressing when you are just about to eat. (adding beforehand will make your veggies soggy). and we are ready with the salad. Its a really fulfilling salad, I can tell by experience. Do try it.
Salad 2: Cottage Cheese/ Tofu/ Paneer salad with carrots.
This salad is especially for vegetarians, who do not prefer having eggs. we took cottage cheese as a source of protein here, you can also add boiled chickpeas as a replacement or along with cheese.
- Cottage cheese/paneer/tofu as per your choice.
- Rest same as the salad 1. (you can add or reduce the amount and variety of veggies as per your choice)
Recipe: Mix everything together and add the dressings later when you are about to eat. You can stir fry the cheese in 1 tbsp of oil if you do not like it raw.
Recipe 3: Romain lettuce salad with cooked chicken and hardboiled eggs.
Ingredients for Chicken:
- Chicken- 250gms (with bone / without bone as per your choice, I have used with bone)
- Salt- as per taste
- Pepper- 1tsp
- Green chillies-2
- Tomato- 1 small
- Onion- 2 small sized
- Ginger-garlic paste (1:2 ratio)- 1 tbsp
- Garam masala- 1 tsp
- Turmeric- 1 tsp
Recipe of Chicken:
- First of all, we will clean the chicken, and par-boil it.
- After boiling for 3-4 minutes we will strain the chicken. (you can save the chicken stock for later uses)
- Heat the pan, add some oil, crackle the cumin seeds, and add chopped onion and saute it.
- After the onion has turned pink, we will add ginger garlic paste and all the masalas, cook it for few minutes.
- Now add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes with lid closed.
- At this point add your chicken and saute it nicely so that all the masala is coated well. also, add about half a cup of chicken stock.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes. or till the chicken is well cooked and all the water is dried up.
- sprinkle some fresh coriander and its ready to use. you can use it with chapatis, rice or even salad.
Recipe for salad 3:
Assemble all the ingredients like lettuce, tomatoes, onion or any vegetable as mentioned in above two salads, along with cooked chicken and hard-boiled eggs.
The dressing that I have used in this salad is ceaser dressing.
An Easy Replacement of Chicken in this salad is simple idli and chatni.
**(i Will share the recipe of Idli and Chatni in another post )
Note:All these salads are low calories and can be an easy replacement of lunch or dinner.
**All the dressings that I have used are as mentioned.